Something tells me this should have been either the first or the last yarn I did – but never mind. I’m pleased with it, so I want to show you guys now! I dizzed the batts (what? me, in a fibre prep rut? never!) and stripped some undyed top into narrow pieces about 30cm long – shown with my hand for marginally helpful scale.
As I was spinning the single, I would periodically stop and trap the twist “upstream” of my fingers while I split the fibre supply “downstream”, then insert the undyed strip and let the twist trap it in the single for a little bit, then twist the strip manually and little by little, treadle it onto the single. Then I’d twist it lots more and split the fibre supply again, and insert the end back in. I used about half of each strip for each cloud. Some worked well, some not so well – hey, it was my first go at this technique!
Beware – photo spam.
There’s just over 100g and 56m in this lovely skein. I think it will knit into a remarkable piece – and it’s soft enough to be a really lovely cowl or slouchy hat. But that’s down the track – for now, it’s an art piece in and of itself and I love it!